Step 1: Tell Congress #WeAreEssential
Congress must pass legislation to support the ESSENTIAL programs and workforce that help people with disabilities to lead independent lives – not in institutions!
This legislation must include:
- Additional funding to create a Medicaid grant program to support access to home and community-based services (that combat institutionalization) and to support the direct support professional (DSP) workforce.
- A permanent reauthorization of the Money Follows the Person (MFP) program.
- Raising Medicaid, SSI, and SNAP asset limits for stimulus payments.
- Boosting Social Security and Supplemental Security Income benefits for the crisis.
- Paid leave for caregivers for people with disabilities.
- No limitations on disability rights protections provided by the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, and the Affordable Care Act.
Step 2: Spread the Word!
Do you have a cell phone with a camera? Take a short video of yourself answering one of the questions below:
- Without my direct support professional…
- The services that I get from Medicaid make it possible for me to…
- If my mom/dad/sister/brother can’t take time off work during this pandemic to support me…
- This is my home, and if I don’t have healthy staff to support me…
- I rely on my Social Security benefits to…
- My chapter of The Arc supports me to…
Then, post your video on social media with the hashtag #WeAreEssential.
It’s important to include the hashtag so that we see your story! You can also share this Action Alert:
How our elected officials respond to this crisis is a matter of life and death, especially for people with disabilities, direct support staff, and families. I’m acting NOW – are you with me? #WeAreEssential